HIGH SCHOOL | MUSIKVEREIN
The honor of participation in the Honors Ensembles is limited to the best high school performers chosen through an individual application and selection process.
Selection of Finalists
Selected Finalists receive the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work with and learn from renowned conductors as they prepare for and perform at a truly world-class venue—the Musikverein in Vienna, Austria. In a special performance, students perform for Vienna concert-going patrons, educators, and family.
In most cases, qualified students are invited to apply after having been nominated by a music teacher familiar with their accomplishments. Given that not all directors are aware of the opportunity to nominate, students who have not received a teacher nomination may still apply and are required to submit the contact information for a teacher reference as part of the application process.
To be considered for selection to the 2022 Honors Performance Series, a student must be in US grades 9-12 (or equivalent international study level) during the 2021-2022 school year and submit a completed application, which includes:
- Application form and deposit
- Contact information for a teacher reference
- A performing biography
- A three- to five-minute audition recording
Please review the Application tab for additional details about these requirements.
Instruments and Voice Parts
The 2022 High School Honors Performance Series at the Musikverein will feature the following distinguished ensembles:
- Honors Band
- Honors Orchestra
- Honors Choir (mixed choir)
Accepted Finalists are assigned to an ensemble based upon the recommendation of our Selection Board to satisfy balance requirements for each ensemble, as well as to maintain an equally high level of musicality for all ensembles. The Series cannot guarantee that, if accepted, applicants will be placed into a specific ensemble.
Past vocal ensembles have included sopranos, altos, tenors, and basses. Previous instrumental ensembles required the following instruments: bassoons, cellos, clarinets (including Bb, Eb, and bass), string basses, euphoniums, flutes, French horns, harps, oboes, percussion, pianos, saxophones (including alto, tenor, and baritone), trombones, tubas, violas, and violins.
Evaluation Process and Selection of Finalists
All completed applications received will be reviewed by our expert Board of professional musicians to select the Finalists for the Honors Ensembles.
- All applicants will be notified by email on approximately November 23, 2021, regarding their application status for the 2022 High School Honors Performance Series. Following review by our Selection Board, applicants are placed into one of three categories: Finalist (selected to perform), First Runner-up (waitlisted), or Deferred (not accepted and not waitlisted).
- Selected Finalists should expect to receive the selected music for preparation in Spring 2022.
- Should any Finalist cancel their participation, a First Runner-up will be offered the opportunity to fill the empty seat.
The Honors Performance Series is proudly presented and operated by WorldStrides.