HIGH SCHOOL | SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE
Performing at Sydney Opera House is an honor reserved for elite student performers. Selected Finalists experience music in new ways during this international performance adventure.
2022 High School Honors Performance Series at Sydney Opera House
The High School Honors Performance Series at Sydney Opera House builds upon the heritage of the Carnegie Hall Series and challenges accomplished 9th-12th grade musicians at one of the world’s most recognized and revered performance institutions: the Concert Hall at Sydney Opera House. Selected Finalists will spend six days in Sydney, where they will study under master conductors, experience the highlights of “the Harbour City”, and get to know other accomplished musicians from around the world.
- Perform as part of the Honors Choir, Honors Band, or Honors Orchestra at Sydney Opera House
- Work with master conductors and build your performing resume
- Rehearse and interact with other Finalists from across the world
- Celebrate your accomplishments on a Finalist Celebration Cruise on Sydney Harbour
- Experience the highlights of Sydney, including a day trip into the Blue Mountains, and see some of Australia’s famed animal species, such as kangaroos, emus, and koalas
(tentative and subject to change)
Thursday, July 28, 2022
- Morning: Arrive in Sydney (note: depending on your city of origin, you may need to leave home as early as Tuesday, July 26 to arrive in Sydney for the start of the program)
- Afternoon: Meet your Chaperone and explore Sydney, including a stop at Bondi Beach
- Evening: Hotel check-in and welcome meeting
Friday, July 29, 2022
- All Day: Blue Mountains day tour (ride the steepest passenger railway in the world, drive to Echo Point to view the Three Sisters rock formation, visit a wildlife park, and more)
Saturday, July 30, 2022
- Morning & Afternoon: Seating and rehearsals
- Evening: Explore and take a walking tour of Sydney's famous historic district, the Rocks
Sunday, July 31, 2022
- Morning & Afternoon: Rehearsals
- Evening: Finalist Celebration Cruise on Sydney Harbour (includes breathtaking views of your performance venue!)
Monday, August 1, 2022
- Morning: Final rehearsal
- Afternoon: Concert prep and sound check
- Evening: Opera House performance
Tuesday, August 2, 2022
- Morning: Farewell and return to the airport
- Afternoon: Depart for home
Student performers attending the High School Honors Performance Series are eligible to receive college credit(s) through George Mason University.
The Honors Performance Series is dedicated to bringing together talented student performers from across the world. Need-based partial scholarships are available to ensure that performers of all economic backgrounds may apply for this unique performance honor at Sydney Opera House. Please contact us at +1-800-503-0807 to learn more.
The Series is additionally proud to share a number of fundraising ideas with selected performers, including our Gift of Performance E-Card, which many Finalists have used to raise their full program cost! Click here for more details.
The 2022 program tuition includes the following:
- All rehearsals, including equipment and sheet music
- All production and services for the Sydney Opera House performance
- All shown activities, including sightseeing, celebration, and other activities
- All ground transportation during the program, including transfers between the assigned airport and hotel (flights to and from Australia are the responsibility of the participants. Additional information about the option to participate in a group flight will be distributed to Finalists after acceptance)
- Exposure to and learning from world-class conductors for the program duration
- Student chaperones, city touring guides, and program staff
- Five nights’ lodging in a centrally located, student-friendly hotel with on-site staff
- A 24-hour staffed emergency office to handle any unexpected circumstances
- 24-hour access to Doctors on Call, our U.S.-based medical support through The George Washington University Hospital, during the program
- Extensive traveler insurance while on the program
Please Note: Transportation to/from Sydney and meals are the responsibilities of the participant and are not included in the program cost.
Important Health and Safety Information
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, we are in the process of evaluating certain program elements for 2022 to ensure that they meet the most current public health standards and guidance. A growing number of concert halls, as well as local and national governments, have implemented COVID-19 vaccination requirements for indoor activities.
All applicants should be aware of the possibility that COVID-19 vaccinations and/or testing may be required to participate in the program. When applying, please review our Standard Cancellation Policy that governs all requests to withdraw from the program.
The health and safety of our participants is always our top priority. If anything changes from what is listed on this website, we will inform enrolled participants via email as soon as possible. Click here to learn more about our health and safety efforts.
Tuition and Payment Plan for Selected Finalists
2022 Program Tuition: $2,749 US
If selected, performers have the option to satisfy the full program expense at once or follow a payment plan:
- $200 US deposit due with application (increases to $295 US if all application materials are not received on or before July 14, 2021—all but a $15 US application review fee is returned to the applicant if not selected)
- November 30, 2021: $375 US due
- December 31, 2021: $375 US due
- January 31, 2022: $375 US due
- February 28, 2022: $375 US due, plus payment for any requested rooming upgrades
- March 31, 2022: $375 US due
- April 30, 2022: $375 US due
- May 31, 2022: Any remaining balance due
The Honors Performance Series is proudly presented and operated by WorldStrides.