2018 Honors Performance Series Chaperone Terms & Conditions
The following Terms and Conditions are applicable to the Series and to the Chaperone’s involvement in the Series and bind both the Chaperone and the Series.
1. Responsibility: This performance and program are produced and facilitated by the Honors Performance Series. The Honors Performance Series (the “Series”) and WorldStrides OnStage d/b/a WorldStrides, its employees, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, successors, agents, and assigns (collectively, “WorldStrides”) do not own, operate, or control any person or entity which is to or does provide goods or services for your program including, for example, performance facilities or equipment, lodging facilities, transportation companies, guides or guide services, local ground operators, entertainment or sightseeing operators, providers or organizers of optional excursions, food service providers, etc. All such persons and entities are independent contractors. As a result, WorldStrides is not liable for any negligent or willful act or failure to act of any such person or entity, or of any third party.
Without limitation, WorldStrides is not responsible for any injury, loss, or damage to person or property, death, delay, or inconvenience in connection with the provision of any goods or services whether occasioned by or resulting from, but not limited to, acts of force majeure, war, civil unrest, insurrection, strikes or other labor activities, criminal or terrorist activities of any kind or the threat thereof, lost or stolen belongings, overbooking or downgrading of accommodations, mechanical or other failure of transportation or for any failure of any transportation mechanism to arrive or depart timely, sanitation problems, food poisoning, epidemics or the threat thereof, lack of or quality of medical care, illness or disease, difficulty in evacuation in case of a medical or other emergency, actual, perceived or threatened epidemics, or for any other cause beyond the direct control of WorldStrides.
Changes or substitutions in hotels, itinerary, activities, or inclusions may be made at the discretion of WorldStrides as it deems necessary or desirable. On certain dates some attractions or activities may be closed. Should WorldStrides be required to or elect to change or even eliminate individual program components, either prior to or during the program, refunds will be given solely at WorldStrides’ discretion. WorldStrides at its sole discretion may cancel a program due to insufficient enrollment, unforeseen operational difficulties, lack of projected availability, or any other reasons at any time. If a program is cancelled by WorldStrides, the sole obligation of WorldStrides is to refund all funds collected from any registrant minus any reasonable non-recoverable expenses incurred by WorldStrides on behalf of the participant.
WorldStrides reserves the right to make audio and visual records of any of its programs and Participant agrees that WorldStrides may use any such records for promotional and/or commercial purposes, as well as approves of such uses by third parties whom WorldStrides may engage without any remuneration to Participant. Participant assigns to WorldStrides all rights, titles, and interest in or to any and all media related to a WorldStrides program without any remuneration to Participant, including photographs provided directly to WorldStrides or through websites in which his or her name or likeness may or may not appear. Chaperone assigns to WorldStrides all rights, title, and interest in or to any and all media in which his or her name or likeness might be used.
WorldStrides reserves the right to decline to accept or retain any person as a member of any program. In the event a member is expelled from a program, no refund of any kind will be made. WorldStrides reserves the right to cancel any program with its sole obligation to refund all monies minus fees. These terms and conditions can be changed only by a writing signed by an officer of WorldStrides.
Chaperones understand that they are solely responsible for their pre-program, program, and post-program medical care in all respects, including, but not limited to, obtaining and taking necessary medication(s), vaccinations and any other medical care and treatment. You hereby acknowledge and understand the risks associated while traveling and voluntarily assume these risks in order to participate in the event operated by WorldStrides.
The adult choosing to participate in the Series program and who is signing and agreeing to these Terms & Conditions is considered a Chaperone (“Chaperone”) and is also considered a Participant (“Participant”).
2. Arbitration. Any dispute concerning this contract, the Terms & Conditions and/or rules and regulations concerning the trip, the literature arising out of or relating to the trip and/or arising out of or relating to the trip itself including, but not limited to, any events and circumstances occurring during the trip, shall be resolved solely and exclusively by binding arbitration in Charlottesville, Virginia pursuant to the then existent commercial rules of the American Arbitration Association. In any such arbitration, the substantive (but not procedural) law of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall apply. The arbitrator and not any federal, state, or local court or agency shall have exclusive authority to resolve any dispute relating to the interpretation, applicability, enforceability, conscionability, or formation of this contract, including but not limited to any claim that all or any part of this contract is void or voidable. In any such arbitration, the arbitrator may, but is not required to, award attorney’s fees to the prevailing party. Each party irrevocably and unconditionally expressly submits to the foregoing binding arbitration agreed for the purposes of dispute resolution hereunder and further irrevocably and unconditionally waives any and all jurisdictional, venue and convenience objections or defenses to such arbitration or to any related action, suit or proceeding in the courts of Virginia to enforce this Agreement to arbitrate or any award rendered therefrom.
3. Room Assignments: Room assignments shall be made by WorldStrides. No room changes shall be made without approval of WorldStrides program staff. Each Participant is expected to participate in all scheduled activities and Chaperones are expected to participate in activities as assigned by WorldStrides. The Chaperones shall check to see that Participants are present for all program activities.
4. Health and Safety Measures: WorldStrides shall have the right, but not the duty, to take whatever action it deems reasonably necessary in regard to the health and safety of any or all Participants including, without limitation, obtaining medical treatment on their behalf and transporting them at their own or their family’s expense to their home for medical or other emergency reasons.
5. Changes: WorldStrides shall have the unqualified right to alter, amend, or cancel the program and to make any adjustment to the program prior to arrival in order to meet unanticipated contingencies, including lack of participation in the program.
6. Insurance: All Participants are provided accident, illness and accident-related dental insurances coverage up to $7,000 for accident, $1,500 for illness, and $750 for accident-related dental. Pre-existing conditions are not covered. Any charges not covered are the responsibility of the Participant.
7. Independent Contractor: Chaperone is an independent contractor and is not an employee of the Series or WorldStrides.
8. Chaperone Complimentary Program and Stipend: As a Chaperone Participant in the Series, and in return for fulfilling the responsibilities (primarily consisting of student supervision) set forth in the Chaperone Application and as otherwise requested by WorldStrides, the Chaperone shall receive a complimentary Chaperone package consisting of at least overnight accommodations, admission to all Series planned events, and free time when not fulfilling assigned responsibilities. In addition to a complimentary package, the Chaperone shall be entitled to receive a stipend equal to $50 per assigned student. The Chaperone shall receive the stipend upon satisfactory completion of assigned Chaperone responsibilities during the Series. Transportation to/from the Series and meals are not included and are the responsibility of the Chaperone. The Chaperone shall share flight information, if any, with WorldStrides at least 45 days prior to commencement of the Series.
9. Completion of Responsibilities in a Professional Manner: Chaperone agrees to perform and complete his or her duties and assigned responsibilities in a professional manner. Failure to do so or failure to attend events may result in removal from the program without receipt of stipend. Chaperone agrees to provide information required and agrees to comply with the mandatory background check process (and/or other checks) performed for all Chaperones.
10. Behavior Code and Rules and Regulations: The WorldStrides program you have elected to attend offers many unique opportunities and experiences. In order to gain maximum benefit for yourself and the students, you agree to Chaperone in an environment of safety and respect, you agree to review the Behavior Code and Rules and Regulations, and acknowledge and understand that both the Code and the Rules establish a minimum set of requirements which may be added to before and/or during the tour by WorldStrides. You agree that you will review these requirements with the Participant(s) you are Chaperoning, you agree to enforce them among all Participant(s), and you agree to assure their thorough understanding of them and agreement to abide by them prior to travel.
We at the Series promote a program atmosphere where Chaperones and students support one another with genuine respect. As a Chaperone, it is your responsibility to help make the program a positive and enjoyable experience for yourself, fellow Chaperones, conductors, Participants, and staff. All Participants are expected to demonstrate high standards of conduct and to accept personal responsibility and consequences for their actions. You are expected to exhibit honesty, courtesy, and consideration toward others. This includes those Participants in your assigned group, as well as anyone else with whom you may come in contact, such as bus drivers, guides, restaurant, and hotel staff, and other guests at venues where you will be visiting or staying.
We require your cooperation and commitment to the following behavior standards to help us meet this goal. We expect the Chaperone to obey the directions, the Behavior Code, the Rules and Regulations, and the rules and regulations established by the Series staff, both prior to and during the program. All program Participants will be responsible for their own actions at all times and Chaperones are responsible for the actions of all Participants in their group.
The rules for the program include a zero tolerance for the following, which constitute grounds for immediate expulsion:
Alcohol and Tobacco – No use of tobacco or non-prescription drugs is allowed. No consumption of alcoholic beverages is allowed.
Drugs – All illegal drug use is strictly prohibited.
Arrests – Series Participants arrested by authorities are not the responsibility of WorldStrides. If arrested, the Participant may be subject to prosecution by local law enforcement authorities and must understand that WorldStrides has no obligation to defend him/her in such proceedings. It is the Participant’s responsibility to inform family members of the phone number and address of the appropriate law enforcement agency to contact.
Established Rules – The Participant shall comply with all rules and regulations of the various governmental agencies and third party vendors such as airlines, hotels, bus companies, etc. The Participant shall respect and follow the directions of the Chaperones and WorldStrides staff. The use of hotel facilities carries with it the responsibility of leaving them in the same conditions in which they were found. The Participant is responsible for any damage.
Room Assignments – Quiet hours at the hotel will be observed from 11:00PM until 5:00AM. Curfew at the hotel is 11:00PM (or 30 minutes after the conclusion of the evening’s last scheduled activity, whichever is earlier). Students must remain in their rooms until the start of the following day’s activities. Students may not leave the group at any time unless specifically authorized to do so by the Chaperones. The student must sleep in his/her assigned hotel room each night.
Miscellaneous – Good common sense, respect, and consideration for others and their property should be practiced daily. The Participant is solely responsible for keeping safe possession of his/her passport, as applicable, and other travel tickets and documents.
If the student or Participant should violate any of these rules, he/she may be sent home at the sole discretion of the Chaperones, the Director, or WorldStrides. In such cases, the parent/guardian will be contacted and the student sent home at the parent’s expense with no refund from WorldStrides.
11. Cancellation: In the event that the Chaperone requests and makes any payments to WorldStrides for on-program optional expenses (such as single room upgrades, etc.) the following shall apply in the event of cancellation by the Chaperone:
In the event the Chaperone must cancel, the cancellation must be made in writing by the Chaperone and sent to the Honors Performance Series at email@example.com. The written cancellation must be postmarked prior to the Series program commencement. Upon such a cancellation, the Chaperone shall not be entitled to a refund for any additional services requested (i.e. a hotel room upgrade).
12. Cancellation by a Supplier: (For California residents only) Upon cancellation of the transportation or travel services, where you, the customer, are not at fault and have not canceled in violation of the terms and conditions, if any, of the contract for transportation or travel services, all sums paid to WorldStrides for services not received by you will be promptly refunded by WorldStrides to you unless you otherwise advise WorldStrides in writing. Registration as a seller of travel does not constitute approval by the state of California. WorldStrides’ principal office is located in Virginia. This transaction is not covered by the California Travel Consumer Restitution Fund. You are not eligible to file a claim against that Fund in the event of WorldStrides’ default. (For Washington State residents only) If transportation or other services are canceled by WorldStrides, all sums paid to WorldStrides for services not performed in accordance with the contract between WorldStrides and the consumer will be refunded within 30 days of receiving funds from the supplier with whom the services were arranged, or if the funds were not sent to the supplier, the funds shall be returned within fourteen days after cancellation by WorldStrides to the consumer unless the consumer requests WorldStrides apply the money to another travel product and/or date.
13. USTOA Membership Means You’re Protected: WorldStrides, as an Active Member of USTOA, is required to post $1 Million with USTOA to be used to reimburse, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the USTOA Travelers Assistance Program, the advance payments of WorldStrides’ customers in the unlikely event of WorldStrides’ bankruptcy, insolvency, or cessation of business. Further, you should understand that the $1 Million posted by WorldStrides may be sufficient to provide only a partial recovery of the advance payments received by WorldStrides. Complete details of the USTOA Travelers Assistance Program may be obtained by writing to USTOA at 275 Madison Avenue, Suite 2014, New York, New York 10016, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting their website at www.ustoa.com.
Seller of Travel Numbers: California Seller of Travel Registration No: 2041618-20 Lakeland Tours, LLC DBA: WorldStrides is registered with the state of Florida as a Seller of Travel – Registration No: ST24541 Hawaii TARS-5388; IA 568; and WA 601 887 646, 602 011 744l
The Honors Performance Series is proudly presented and operated by WorldStrides.